Opening remarks from the chair
The chairperson will reflect on the past, present and future of women in leadership positions in the insurance sector.
- How far have we really come since the days of the old boys club?
- What does the future look like for the next generation of female executives?
- Creating an inclusive culture that embraces women from diverse ethnic backgrounds
Michelle Ashby – Learning Leader – People Experience, Suncorp NZ & Chair of ANZIIF Women Council
PANEL DISCUSSION: Smashing through the glass ceiling
Be inspired by our incredible line-up of successful women in insurance defying all odds to get to where they are today.
- Strategies for effectively juggling work and family life
- Overcoming challenges that women face in insurance
- How do you break the boys’ club mentality?
- What your organisations should do to create a diverse and inclusive workforce
Stacy Gould – Liability Underwriter, QBE Insurance & Vice President for YIPS NZ
Monica Maharaj – Regional Claims Manager – Liability, New Zealand Insurance
Jo Mason – Chief Executive Officer, NZ Brokers Management Limited
Holly Reedman – Director, Aurora Insurance Limited NZ
Overcome unconscious bias in the insurance profession
Institutional unconscious bias towards women is prevalent in the insurance profession. How should we react when confronted with individual instances of unconscious bias?
- Understand unconscious bias and its impact in the workplace
- How can you constructively address unconscious bias if you encounter it?
- How to overcome unconscious bias in succession planning, recruitment and promotion
Sarah O’Connell – General Manager, Gallagher Bassett NZ
PANEL DISCUSSION: Will diversity quotas solve the problem of female representation in executive positions?
The insurance sector has traditionally been a male-dominated industry and has been slow to progress gender diversity within teams. Are gender quotas the answer?
- The pros and cons of gender targets vs quotas
- ‘Moving the needle’ on gender equality
- How can male champions of change make a difference?
Melissa Cantell – Chief Operating Officer, IAG
Stu Cooper – General Manager, Certus Insurance Brokers NZ
John Lyon – Chief Executive Officer, Ando Insurance
Benita Murray – Senior Account Manager, Aon New Zealand
How to drive improved gender pay outcomes
According to the Workplace Gender Equality Agency report, the insurance sector has the largest gender pay gap of any industry.
- How can organisations close the pay gap between men and women?
- How to address pay equity through strategic planning
- What changes need to happen?
Margaret Retter – Director of Policy, Ministry of Women NZ
Driving organisational change by incorporating flexible work practices
Organisations offering flexibility within the workplace will likely build stronger relationships with their employees and enhance productivity.
- How to manage the demands of family and career
- Engaging men with flexible work arrangements
- Finding the right balance to develop industry knowledge and career progression
Hetal Parmar – Account Executive – Health and Benefits, Willis Towers Watson & Chairperson of Women and Supporters Inclusion Network NZ
IN-CONFERENCE WORKSHOP: Equip yourself with the tools and techniques to become a resilient female leader
Why is there a perception that women need to be hard, masculine and unemotional in order to succeed as leaders? In this in-conference workshop, you will learn how to break free from the double bind and achieve balance as women leaders.
- How do you find the right balance of being assertive and overcompensating?
- Communicating confidently and gaining respect from your peers
- Overcoming criticism from other women
- Building your personal brand: gain effective negotiation and sales skills
- How to make an impact in meetings and boardrooms
- How to deal with difficult conversations around harassment, discrimination and sexism
Petra Lucioli – Claims Manager, Delta Insurance NZ
Dita Russell – Liability Claims Specialist, QBE